[Clubs] Support for Syrian refugees in KW - How your student group can help

Maaz Iftekharuddin Yasin maaz.yasin at uwaterloo.ca
Fri Dec 11 12:12:05 EST 2015

Dear fellow students, members of clubs, Feds Services, Societies and other student groups,

Hope exam season is treating you well and that you've been acing all your exams so far. As you may know, the Waterloo region will be welcoming more than 1000 refugees from Syria as part of a relief effort to address one the largest displacement of people in recent history. Several community organizations are hard at work to resettle the refugees in our region.

The efforts began after the new federal government announced plans this fall to bring refugees from the war-torn country into Canada. I am writing to you today to tell you about all the ways you and your club/group can help:

Participate in the Feds Food & Clothing Drive (Sign up your club here<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/12n2tW0gV1Sn2zaw-2Aq_ElF2x1NaDvI-sWwCWFRifpc/viewform>)
In the Winter term, we will be working with campus groups to raise food, clothing and hygiene supplies. If your group is interested in being a part of the drive, sign up here<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/12n2tW0gV1Sn2zaw-2Aq_ElF2x1NaDvI-sWwCWFRifpc/viewform>. All participating groups' logos or names will be included and acknowledged in any marketing material for the Feds Food & Clothing Drive.

Volunteer (Sign up <volunteer.feds.ca> here<http://volunteer.feds.ca>)
As the refugees arrive, local community organizations will require volunteer help. Through the Feds Volunteer Centre, we have setup a dedicated sign up for anyone interested in volunteering in the community.

Language interpreters
Our community partners are looking for people that can speak Arabic/Kurdish or other regional dialects. Sign up here for more information. <https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1_S4HHURE0HMKWqnp96Atf0D3nsA3iXx_qATGTYFMbms/viewform>

More Information
For more information, visit Feds.ca/Refugees<http://www.feds.ca/refugees/>, check out our Press Release here<http://www.feds.ca/blog/students-take-action-support-syrian-refugees-arriving-waterloo-region/> or feel free to email me.

Thank you and I wish you the best of luck with exams and a happy holiday season.

Sincerely,

Maaz Yasin

Vice President Internal | Federation of Students | University of Waterloo

(P) 519-888-4567 x33780 |  vpin at feds.ca<mailto:vpin at feds.ca> | twitter.com/uwFedsVPI<twitter.com/uwfedsvpi> |

Feds.ca | LinkedIn<ca.linkedin.com/in/maazyasin>